Torque

Forums

Forums

Show or hide header
Welcome Guest, posting in this forum require registration.

Torque » Torque OBD ECU Scanner » Torque Discussion / Ideas » How do i gain accurate BHP/Torque figures?

Pages: [1]
Author Topic: How do i gain accurate BHP/Torque figures?
daveyonthemove
Post How do i gain accurate BHP/Torque figures?
on: November 17, 2010 (GMT)

Are there any tips for how set this application up in order to get accurate results?

My engine size is 2.2 (diesel)
Kerb Weight is 1450kg + 55kg for full tank of fuel + 90kgs for my body weight = 1595kg
Max RPM is 6000.

I don’t seem to be getting figures anywhere near what they should be, so i wondered if i need to make any adjustments to get a more accurate reading?

Timmay
Post Re: How do i gain accurate BHP/Torque figures?

You could always try do a few tests yourself, and get a few full rev range maps and work out the energy, and therefore the power required to accelerate the vehicle over the test, using Excel. I tried this with a few 3rd gear starts in a 150bhp diesel, my estimate wasnt too bad, I worked out that the car had about 136bhp, assuming the gearbox/drivetrain is 85% efficient. If I tried it a few more times, with torque set to log every .5 of a sec I would be confident of getting a better estimate.

Edit: Coming to think of it, if your ecu is not capable of giving out more then 4 parameters per second, and you have a good few dials displayed, or are record any other obd parameters this will definitely effect the vehicle speed recorded through the obd, and will make the estimate wayy off. So if you try remove as many dials on the opened page, and delete any other pids that are in the log, it could improve your efforts.

daveyonthemove

Hi Timmay, thanks for your reply.
I will try removing the other gauges from the screen and just leave the BHP and Torque running, and see if that helps.

I have no idea how to go about getting the rev range maps and collating them into excel, but if you would be kind enough to give a few pointers i would try it out.

In the meantime, i will try the app with minimal PID’s running and let you know if that helps.

Dave

Timmay
on: November 18, 2010 (GMT)

By a rev range map, I simply mean go out and do your own test, and using excel go get your own torque and bhp map, just like a dyno will print out! What you do is find a nice long flat straight road with no traffic, and depending on how quick your car is, a high speed limit, and starting in 3rd gear at very low revs plant the trottle and accelerate the whole way to the max rpm the car will do, but stay in 3rd gear the whole test.

Then you need to find the tire diameter, final drive ratio, 3rd gear ratio for your car, and in excel you can work out the force that the car was being propelled at using F=MA, and from the force you can work out the torque (T = FD), and then the engine power (P = T*RPM*0.85), where 0.85 is the amount of power lost between the drivetrain/gearbox etc.

If I’m wrong on any of the above formulas, let me know!

daveyonthemove

Sounds like a similar formula i used to do with a previous car using VAGcom a few years ago.
I’ll see if i can do this and let you know how i get on.
Am i looking to record RPM and SPEED for these results, or i have mis-read your post?
Thanks again for your help.

Dave

daveyonthemove

It seems that the idea of having minimal readings working at the same time might be the answer.
I had a single graph on display today for BHP when i joined the M4 from a slip road, and although i was in 4th and didn’t push it too hard, i did see a reading of 193bhp, which is much closer to the figure i would have expected.
When i get more time, and more fuel i will try the run on a quiet road in 3rd, 4th, 5th and 6th and see what results i get.

piemmm
Administrator
on: November 19, 2010 (GMT)

BHP should be accurate provided you have entered the weight correctly and, most importantly, don’t spin the wheels :-)

Timmay is also correct about having a minimal set of dials visible for the test – you can just slide over to a blank screen with just the BHP/Torque/Speed dials on and it may help if you have an ECU that is fairly slow!

The only thing that is not currently taken into account at the moment is a vehicle drag co-efficient (which becomes a larger factor the faster you go) – you should be fine up to about 60mph though and get very accurate readings. Drag co-efficients will be introduced soon!

To get the best results, you want to:

1) Not spin the wheels :)
2) Do this on a flat, level road with no corners.
3) Only have the displays you want on the screen relevant to what you are doing (though this isn’t too important)

Ian

daveyonthemove
on: November 19, 2010 (GMT)

Thanks for the feedback, i’ll bear all of those tips in mind the next time i try it. Just need some dry weather now so i can get some traction.

marka87uk
on: November 21, 2010 (GMT)

Hi Ian,

Kind of following up from my other post here, but can you tell us how you calculate bhp and torque in the app?

I would have thought as well as weight you would need to know the tyre diameter and gear ratios to get an accurate figure?

Timmay
on: November 23, 2010 (GMT)

You can calculate it also by just looking at the change in kinetic energy (1/2mv2), and subtract the losses due to aerodynamics and rolling resistance. Power is defined as the rate of change of energy.

Pages: [1]
WP-Forum by: Fredrik Fahlstad, Version: 2.4
Page loaded in: 0.035 seconds.

Follow me on twitter