Torque

Forums

Forums

Show or hide header
Welcome Guest, posting in this forum require registration.

Torque » Torque OBD ECU Scanner » Torque Discussion / Ideas » ABS Warning Light

Pages: [1]
Author Topic: ABS Warning Light
babyboomer
Post ABS Warning Light
on: January 29, 2012 (GMT)

Within the last two days I’ve started seeing an intermittent ABS warning light on the dash of my 2009 Toyota RAV4. Usually I can make it go away by restarting the car. Torque is not retrieving any error codes. Coincidentally, the air conditioning has started behaving erratically – sometimes it generates cool air and at other times it does not.

Within the last 24 to 48 hours I’ve updated the Torque application on my mobile phone. I have never updated the firmware on my OBDLink scanner. I’ve been scanning the same PIDs for the last month. I can’t imagine that upgrading Torque would change any of that. I’m just wondering whether Torque or my scanner could be wreaking havoc with my vehicle.

I’m going to operate my vehicle for awhile without attaching the scanner; just to see what happens.

piemmm
Administrator
Post Re: ABS Warning Light
on: January 30, 2012 (GMT)

Hi!

No, Torque shouldn’t be able of doing that unless you’re using the ‘push button’ with custom OBD commands (and it’s very difficult to get it to cause this type of issue via that method) – usually when issues like this happen it’s when starting the vehicle for the first time and the adapter trying to talk to the ECU using a different protocol and it temporarily blocks communications on the diagnostics data-bus. If it’s that, then you can fix it:

Once torque is running, you can select the protocol to always use in the settings, rather than let the adapter try to auto-search – go into the vehicle profile and scroll down, it should tell you the protocol it is currently using, then you can just select that in the drop-down box. The adapter will always then use that protocol instead of trying to automatically search

On occasion, a couple of clone adapters have gone bad and caused issues on the vehicle data-bus, but this always relates to trying to talk to other units and temporarily blocking communication to them. Removing the adapter and restarting the vehicle always clears this kind of issue. You have an OBDLink so I would not expect it to cause issues like this.

paja
on: January 30, 2012 (GMT)

I noticed the similar problem on my Prius. When I lock/unlock the car with OBD plug inserted in the DLC3 port and I start the car, the plug blocks the CAN communication with ABS/TRC/VSC ECU and the DTC code U0073 is stored (BTW. it is not visible by Torque).
I’ll try the default protocol setting as recommended by Torque author.

babyboomer
on: January 31, 2012 (GMT)

I purchased my OBDLink on eBay. It certainly looks like the genuine article. So far, it has behaved admirably. Is there any way to verify its authenticity?

piemmm
Administrator
on: January 31, 2012 (GMT)

The OBDLink should be fine (I’ve yet to encounter someone with a clone one or a faulty unit)

All you should need to do is make sure you set the protocol to use in the vehicle profile (it’ll tell you when connected to the vehicle what protocol you are using) – then the adapter won’t go hunting to find the correct protocol, it’ll just use the correct one from the start

babyboomer
on: February 1, 2012 (GMT)

Uh oh!

I tried setting the protocol as you suggested. Near the end of my afternoon/evening commute, I had stopped at a drive-through to order some dinner when I noticed someone’s car making a racket. Initially I thought it was the vehicle behind me. Imagine my dismay when I realized it was my own. I took a glance at my tachometer and noticed that it read around 1000 to 1200 RPM – almost twice what it should have. It sounded more like a rattle than a purr. A moment later I looked down at the adapter and noticed that none of the communication lights were flashing. I reached under the dash and confirmed that it was still plugged in. Additionally, the application was displaying a banner stating that the ECU was connected. I disconnected the scanner and drove home.

When I sat down to compose this message I noticed that Torque was still running on my phone. I guess I forgot to close it. Furthermore, it was still indicating that it was connected to the ECU. Even if the scanner was still connected, the car is not running and I’m at least fifty feet away.

By the way, the OBD2 protocol I used was ISO 15765-4 CAN(11bit 500k baud)

I’m going to remove Torque and reinstall it. Then I might enable debugging. Ultimately, I just want to make sure I’m not doing any harm to the car.

By the way, would running Torque from the SD card cause any problems?

Pages: [1]
WP-Forum by: Fredrik Fahlstad, Version: 2.4
Page loaded in: 0.025 seconds.

Follow me on twitter