Torque

Forums

Forums

Show or hide header
Welcome Guest, posting in this forum require registration.

Torque » Torque OBD ECU Scanner » Torque Discussion / Ideas » Blackberry Playbook

Pages: [1] 2 3
Author Topic: Blackberry Playbook
mbk.2k3
Post Blackberry Playbook
on: November 19, 2011 (GMT)

so i know read here you shelved plans for a blackberry app, which makes sense i suppose. but they’ve changed up their platform vision.

also, the playbook is an excellent device that i would love to see the torque app on.

any plans for a playbook app? should be relatively easy to convert to playbook app given their new development tools, no?

anjenaire
Post Re: Blackberry Playbook
on: February 21, 2012 (GMT)

+1 Torque on Playbook

I echo these comments regarding the application on the Playbook. I am leaning towards purchasing a Playbook and the Torque application would be the clincher. Nice size, great price and performance on the tablet, works well. My existing tablet is too large for the car and no GPS so I would want to have another option. Given my work issued BB, the Playbook would be the natural choice.

Please, please, please ….

continuous
on: August 25, 2012 (GMT)

Here, here! Torque on Blackberry Playbook

PLEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEESE!!!

I have Torque (paid version) on my android phone, but the blackberry will be permanently fitted in the car…you know – nav, music and ODBII, but wait, we are missing the ODBII!!

On a serious note, it seems that RIM has gone to great lengths to help developers port their android apps to blackberry. I know these things take time and another platform to support, but please do it soon……:)

bungaboy
on: October 30, 2012 (GMT)

I too have the paid version and would like to see a PlayBook version of this app.

piemmm
Administrator

Hi!

It depends on the playbooks android player supporting bluetooth (which is currently does not do)

However I’ve been talking to one person on the RIM Alliances team and apparently this may be changing in the new year. Until then though my hands are tied. (I have a playbook on my desk waiting for this)

bungaboy

Thanks for the update. I appreciate it.

Looking forward to the new year.

In the interim I will use my Nexus 7 but I prefer the PlayBook bridged to my BB9810 phone.

piemmm
Administrator
on: February 8, 2013 (GMT)

Hi

I now have the Z10 phone and a playbook – Torque is on there, and it /sort/ of recognises bluetooth, but I’m not 100% there yet as there appears to be a bit of strangeness with how bluetooth is working (for some reason the device isn’t listed even though Torque can ‘see’ some form of bluetooth

Still no definitive ‘yes’ yet – I will have more this weekend with a bit of luck.

EDIT:

Seems that someone at BB was fibbing when they were telling me to watch for bluetooth support. It’s still not part of the android player in a usable form, so unfortunately at the moment Bluetooth adapters will not function.

Source: http://developer.blackberry.com/android/apisupport/unsupportedapi_playbook_hardware_features.html

I’m a bit annoyed at this, especially considering I also have a playbook and Z10 device. I am still investigating options.

windexcheese
on: February 19, 2013 (GMT)

Frustrating here too…

Figured out how to sideload Torque, only to find out too late that BT is not supported – boo…

Perhaps a hard wired micro USB to OBD adapter? There are a decent # of ELM327 OBDII to USB devices out there, given that the playbook has a separate charge port available unlike a lot of android devices.

piemmm
Administrator
on: February 20, 2013 (GMT)

Again it’s down to API support(which isn’t there yet) :-)

bungaboy
on: February 20, 2013 (GMT)

Thanks for the efforts.

Is there some way that we could help with BBRY?

Is there someone you would like us to email with our concerns/frustrations?

Thanks again.

ubermanx
on: February 23, 2013 (GMT)

Quote from admin on February 20, 2013
Again it’s down to API support(which isn’t there yet) :-)

This is not entirely true.

There are two ways of getting Torque on the new BlackBerry devices.

1) use the BlackBerry Android Player which allows you to run Android 2.3 compatible apps within the BlackBerry environment. You just repackage your APK which takes about 30 seconds and away you go. This Android Player does indeed not support Blue tooth connections.

2) take your Android code and modify it using one of the numerous programing platforms that BlackBerry supports such as Adobe Air, Cascades, C++, etc. I am told that given the right tools most Android programmers have been able to convert their apps within one day. BlackBerry developer support is very eager to help to get as many native BlackBerry apps as possible. In this case your code would have access to Blue tooth.

If you contact the BlackBerry team headed up by Alec Saunders @asaunders they can get you started.

They even have a program where your app is guaranteed to earn 000. I’d say 1 or 2 days work for 000 is worth your time and effort. I know I would be first in line to purchase your app on my BlackBerry Z10.

piemmm
Administrator
on: March 27, 2013 (GMT)

Hi

1) Can’t happen as you also mention due to the player holding it back wrt bluetooth

2) One day may be the norm for small projects with some simple screens, unfortunately Torque contains a lot of rather complicated code in the OBD2 layer (to deal with many, many bugged ECUs) and won’t be a simple straightforward conversion – Torque is currently 98K lines of source (it won’t take a day)

There is a third option which I am yet to investigate which may bring this to the z10 still using the android player. The android player is beneficial to me as it means I don’t waste time maintaining separate codebases (and can get on with adding new features to the app, which is what it’s all about)

piemmm
Administrator
on: May 8, 2013 (GMT)

Hi!

I have some good news on this – hopefully will have more information in the next couple of hours.

Regards,

Ian

anjenaire

Standing by for the good news ….

piemmm
Administrator

Good news everybody!

I have Torque connecting to an OBD adapter on the Z10 and Q10 – this means that I can finally move forward with releasing it on the blackberry store

– There’s a few things to tidy up first – the front screen display is a bit ‘off’ on the Q10 and a few other ‘guiding’ options to be added for users using blackberry.

Please do not go and buy OBD2 adapters in anticipation just yet as you may end up getting something that doesn’t work – there’s more on this later once I’ve got things released on the blackberry store and I will be updating the wiki as well with all the information you need. Unless you wait until blackberry updates the android player to version 4 (there’s no release date for them doing that yet)

(as a side note, I was amazed the track recorder plugin kind of worked as well on the Q10 as well)

Work for this should take about a week tops then it’s up to the blackberry store to go through their approval process (it’s also going to be a bit close to the due-date for my better half, so I may go quiet for a week or two whilst I learn a few new things in life!)

kidthewiz
on: May 15, 2013 (GMT)

Hi,

i have a Z10 and i am more than happy about this news!
can’t wait!

i can be a beta tester if you want!

Regards,
Eric

piemmm
Administrator
on: May 16, 2013 (GMT)

Most of the work required is now completed, and I’m finally approved as a ‘paid’ vendor on the blackberry portal so this won’t be long now

Quick poll question though – how many z10/q10 users know about the ‘back’ swipe that the android player uses?

remus2k
on: May 28, 2013 (GMT)

I definitely know how to use the diagonal swipe back for android apps and any Z10/Q10 user I’ve met has known how to do it, though you may want to add a back button just in case.

Either way I see it’s been a few weeks since you’ve updated things so I think you’re going through that hiatus you spoke of (congratulations!)… when you have something ready and working please let us know as I am dying to get Torque working on my Z10!

Thanks so much for all your work I’m excited for this piece of software!

-Chris-

piemmm
Administrator
on: May 29, 2013 (GMT)

Hi

It’s almost ready to upload – just got to sort out a few things with proguard first before I can send it to the market (the hard work is done, just the fiddly update) – yes the little one put a spanner in the works as far as time is concerned – I’m starting to find my feet again so things will return to normal soon :-)

remus2k
on: May 30, 2013 (GMT)

I am literally hitting refresh on this forum a few times a day to see the announcement that it’s live on BBWorld!

I can’t wait! :)

-Chris-

Pages: [1] 2 3
WP-Forum by: Fredrik Fahlstad, Version: 2.4
Page loaded in: 0.133 seconds.

Follow me on twitter