Torque

Forums

Forums

Show or hide header
Welcome Guest, posting in this forum require registration.

Torque » Torque OBD ECU Scanner » Torque Discussion / Ideas » ABS Codes?

Pages: [1]
Author Topic: ABS Codes?
Cessnadriver
Post ABS Codes?
on: October 14, 2011 (GMT)

Before purchasing,I’d like to confirm that the paid version of Torque will read ABS codes on a 2000 Ford Windstar.
On the info for the free version it states The paid version has more features (HorsePower,Torque, 0-60 , quarter mile tests, graph data, map / track views) + no adverts and exra dial/display types! and ABS / Knock sensor support, Transmission temperature support for some makes of car / trucks (GM / Ford, etc), and Turbo Boost on many more vehicles (including VW) But, looking at the reviews, people are saying that the wished it would read ABS codes. (?) If so, is there a particular bluetooth device I’d need to get? Also I’m running a Droid Incredible 2 (HTC) running Version 2.2.
Thanks

jdwx
Post Re: ABS Codes?
on: November 14, 2011 (GMT)

I feel your pain. 97 GMC, was hoping it did this as well. Can’t find that area. still looking….

piemmm
Administrator
on: November 14, 2011 (GMT)

Hi

for some makes of car / truck

ABS support (and other sensors) are dependant on the implementation of OBD2 that the manufacturer has used, it mentions this in the market description as well

Traditionally ABS was not part of the OBD2 protocol (OBD2 only covers primarily emissions system (eg: engine) and related sensors) which means that every manufacturer has a different ‘protocol’ to talk to the ABS modules. In newer vehicles ABS does appear to be covered in some cases by the OBD2 standard, where I have seen DTC’s raised through the standard systems.

Torque will read these if the manufacturer has followed the standard for requesting and reporting DTCs. Older vehicles however, will not support this due to proprietary ways of reading this information and lack of information available on how to do it

If someone knows what to do, and wants to write a plugin for talking to older ABS / SRS systems, then there is the facility to do that within the app via AIDL (there is also an example plugin posted in the sticky threads). You can already read things like Ford ABS wheel speeds through the extra ‘predefined’ PIDs that can be added through the ‘Manage extra sensors’ part of the app settings.

Torque can already read P, U, B, and C trouble codes if the manufacturers have followed the *full* standard for pulling DTCs and not just the generic ‘I have an OBD2 fault code’ commands. More modern vehicles are doing this, however older vehicles don’t.

The adapter doesn’t define if you can or cannot read ABS – from this standpoint all the adapters can do the same thing (ie: being able to read ABS is not specific to any adapter)

jdwx
on: November 15, 2011 (GMT)

Thank you piemmm

I know with my snapon 2500, I have to back out of OBD and go into their ABS area to get ABS codes and wheel speeds. That would be so nice. but, so be it.

Love your app! Thanks for developing it. Saves a lot of time. :) And thank you for responding.

eggy
on: January 14, 2012 (GMT)

Ian – Thanks for creating Torque. A great product which I highly recommend. You can be proud of your accomplishments with it!

Like others, I too am interested to get access to ABS codes (2001 Chevrolet Impala). Some scan tools are to be able to pull the codes, but others can’t/don’t. Based on Ian’s comments in prior posting, it sounds like GM doesn’t follow the OBD2 standard in this case.

Just to confirm – is there *any* chance that a custom PID(s) exists for ABS info? That is, is it certain that the problem is due to non-compliance with OBD2 standards.

If anyone is interested to work collectively to add this capability then let’s put our heads together and fix it.

Thanks,
Pete

PS – I’m not sure whether it’s helpful, but here is a sample listing of codes: http://www.greatautohelp.com/dtc/absdtc.html

piemmm
Administrator
on: January 14, 2012 (GMT)

Hi

Well, there are some Ford ABS codes (in the extended PID lists) which can get the individual ABS wheel speeds (via the reluctor rings on each wheel) – that’s not talking directly to the ABS unit but via the Engine ECU

All it /should/ be is a case of getting hold of the correct documentation on how to talk to the ABS / SRS controllers. They’re not covered by the OBD2 system, and may require an adapter to talk to different pins to get the info, but so far I have little information on it

jiffytech
on: September 11, 2012 (GMT)

Hello. I am new to this forum but I msut say that the Torque software is awesome.
That being said, I am very confused about extended PIDs and how to load them.
1. I have Torque Pro on the android OS, I go into Manage extra PIDs, to add a predefined set. So let’s say I click on Pontiac/GM/Opel/Vauxhall. Is that all I have to do? I click on that predefined set and now My software will automatically be reading extended PID’s for those vehicles?
Then, If I want Extended PIDs for a Ford, I just go back and select those?

2. Also, I get some readings for my 2011 GMC Sierra. But I do not get ABS codes. Do I need to do something to makke those sensors active or is that just not available at this time.

3. When updated Extended PID’s come out, how do I install them? I read somewhere that you have to Clear List. So, Why would I ever use the Clear List button?

Any and all help is appreciated.

Thanks

gsyman
on: December 5, 2015 (GMT)

Will Torque pro read theABS codes on my 2003 Chrysler Grand Voyager? I have replaced a wheel sensor before when I had professional diagnostics done, but the abs warning light has come on again a couple of years later.
I have cleaned the ‘cogs’ on the hubs with a wire brush to no avail.
Thanks

Railroader
on: June 19, 2016 (GMT)

I have a 2002 Grand Caravan 3.3 that I wish it would read.

Offportal
on: May 25, 2020 (GMT)

Just wondering if there is any update on this . I have Volkswagen Passat 2014 B7 and Torque is not reading any ABS error codes.

Thanks

John

Pages: [1]
WP-Forum by: Fredrik Fahlstad, Version: 2.4
Page loaded in: 0.052 seconds.

Follow me on twitter