Torque

Forums

Forums

Show or hide header
Welcome Guest, posting in this forum require registration.

Torque » Torque OBD ECU Scanner » Torque Discussion / Ideas » Boost reading wrong?!

Pages: [1] 2 3
Author Topic: Boost reading wrong?!
dazsmith
Post Boost reading wrong?!
on: October 9, 2011 (GMT)

Hi,

I have the Torque app for my MAZDA 6 MPS and recently the boost reading has been peaking at 25psi on a stock map which cannot be right. It should be around 14 psi.

Does this have something to do with the boost adjustment?

I havent changed any settings myself, and when i first used the torque app, it read the boost correctly.

Could someone help me out? or suggest what could be wrong?

Has an update affected my reading and i have to adjust the boost adjustment? what should this be on?

Thanks for your help Darren

piemmm
Administrator
Post Re: Boost reading wrong?!

Hi

Nothing has changed with the boost code for a while now – Have you checked your vehicle profile is setup correctly with the correct engine displacement (this, the fuel type, and the VE are the most important things to setup in the vehicle profile) and have you told the app to use that vehicle profile?

The vehicle profile having the wrong engine displacement is the most common reason for inaccurate boost readings

dazsmith

Thanks for the quick reply

The engine displacement is correct

What should the boost adjustment be on? I’ve had it on 0.

It’s strange how it was fine earlier then recently jumped over 10 psi on WOT.

Thanks again

piemmm
Administrator
on: October 10, 2011 (GMT)

Boost adjustment should be 0 in most cases (unless you have something like a mitsubishi) then it you’ll usually subtract atmospheric pressure from it.

Check the following things:

* You have ‘Faster communication’ enabled in the OBD2 Bluetooth adapter settings

* After being connected for a few minutes, go into the adapter status screen and make sure the ‘Error Count’ is 0. If it’s not 0 then your adapter is having problems and this can cause strange things to happen like poorly-timed 0-60 runs and the boost jumping way out on occasion. This is quite common with clone adapters from ebay.

What adapter are you using?

Eduardo

Hi Ian.

It,s me again – and my Vw Passat 1.9 tdi.

Here are two logs. First is a log done by torque. The secound is done by Ross-Tech VCDS. As You can see VCDS shows that there is no vaccum in intake. Torque shows vaccum almost all the time.
Is there any way to improve that?

Eduardo.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

piemmm
Administrator

Hi

What units is the boost/ vac reading in? I can’t see from the headers on those screenshots.

You will always have a small amount of vac measured due to airflow restrictions (such as air filters, pipework, etc). If the vac is less than 1in/hg (which appears so in this case) then I would suspect you need to adjust the VE for your vehicle slightly until it reads closer to 0

Eduardo

VCDS shows boost in mbar and torque in bar.

Eduardo.

P.S. I don’t know if You noticed: torque shows 1,54 bar when the engine is off!

piemmm
Administrator

And when negative, Torque provides the boost readings as in/Hg, which represents about 0.01693bar for 0.5in/Hg, which is in-line with what I would expect (a tiny amount of vacuum)

When you turn the engine off, you will see vacuum increase and then go back to 0, this is normal to see on some diesels, but should return to 0

Eduardo

I think it’s not because i’ve ticked “don’t display psi as in/hg” option in settings.

piemmm
Administrator

Hm.

Do you have a reading for the “intake air temperature” for your vehicle? I will need to do some checks here to see what’s up for your vehicle

Also whilst idling, can you enable the “enable debugging” option in the apparently general settings, restart the app, show the realtime info for boost for a short time then press menu and send a debug log (write your car type and ‘vacuum’ in the description and ill have a look at it once it arrives here

dazsmith
on: October 11, 2011 (GMT)

Quote from admin on October 10, 2011
Boost adjustment should be 0 in most cases (unless you have something like a mitsubishi) then it you’ll usually subtract atmospheric pressure from it.

Check the following things:

* You have ‘Faster communication’ enabled in the OBD2 Bluetooth adapter settings

* After being connected for a few minutes, go into the adapter status screen and make sure the ‘Error Count’ is 0. If it’s not 0 then your adapter is having problems and this can cause strange things to happen like poorly-timed 0-60 runs and the boost jumping way out on occasion. This is quite common with clone adapters from ebay.

What adapter are you using?

Im using the ELM327. I never had any problems when i first used the app for at least 2-3 months (i admit i dont use it all the time)

Ill give them a try thanks!

Darren

dazsmith
on: October 12, 2011 (GMT)

Hi,

I have adjusted my boost adjustment to 0, and used teh MAP reading instead of the MAF reading and my boost levels have returned back to normal (14-15psi).

Thanks for your help!

quick question – how accurate are the 0-60 times? Few people are saying they’re not very accurate?

Also how do you log what times you have achieved?

Thanks!

Eduardo
on: October 25, 2011 (GMT)

Quote from admin on October 10, 2011
Hm.

Do you have a reading for the “intake air temperature” for your vehicle? I will need to do some checks here to see what’s up for your vehicle

Also whilst idling, can you enable the “enable debugging” option in the apparently general settings, restart the app, show the realtime info for boost for a short time then press menu and send a debug log (write your car type and ‘vacuum’ in the description and ill have a look at it once it arrives here

Hi.

I was out for some time.
I have sent you debug log (even twice). Have You get it?
There is not “intake air temperature” reading in Torque but there is such a reading in Ross-tech’ VCDS.
Eduardo.

Godzirro
on: March 13, 2012 (GMT)

I have an issue on this as well and need clarification on. I have a Nissan Juke 1.6 and yes my settings are correct in the setup. Unless you tell me something needs to be changed but I do not understand why that would be since these readings should come directly from the ECU.
It is well documented that the Juke PSI does not exceed 12 on the turbo. Yet I have received multiple readings from Torque that have peaked at 17,18 and even 24. Over 20 in the Juke sends the vehicle into limp mode and I know this is incorrect. If Torque is reading this information directly from the ECU why does it get such errors? What can be done to fix this and I need to have accuracy regarding this.

piemmm
Administrator

Hi

The boost reading will be accurate provided you have the correct information (engine size, and VE) entered into the vehicle profile, and that you have a correctly functioning MAP / MAF sensor

If your vehicle uses a MAF sensor, then a bad/slow adapter can cause the reading to be inaccurate – check the adapter ‘Error Count’ in the adapter status screen after being connected for a few minutes. Both values should be 0, if they are not 0, then you will likely have a faulty adapter and this will be the cause of the incorrect readings

Also make sure you have ‘Faster Communication’ selected in the settings. All vehicles and adapters should work with this enabled without any problems at all. Un-tick ‘Disable ELM327 auto timing’.

That’s about it! As long as the vehicle profile has correct information, and your adapter is functioning correctly you will get very accurate boost readings

Godzirro

Well I have spent the day playing with this again and checked all the things you suggested again. I have a correctly function MAP sensor and is a newer vehicle. There are no errors or error count. I agree with you in a sense that the reading is accurate until the engine is really gased. Then I got a reading of 54 on a 12 psi turbo? I wish but it definitely is not the case. I have tried the options you gave back and forth and changed and it has not changed the reading s at all. I need to know what my max psi reading is and this is not doing it. I guess I will have to get a gauge.
Just curious as well where are you from? Why is this app seem to be so european biased?

piemmm
Administrator
on: March 14, 2012 (GMT)

OBD2 is a global standard it covers the US, EU, even Japan

After you have been connected for a few minutes (not straight after connecting) (and have reproduced the boost issue) what is the ‘Error Count’ at in the adapter status screen?

If you have a MAP and not MAF sensor, then the reading is *direct* from that sensor, which means you are seeing what the sensor is seeing. However the MAP sensor can only show a maximum of 36psi (it is not capable of showing more as the OBD2 standard only allows that much), which means you are likely using MAF and not MAP.

A way to check what sensors you have is to look at the list of available sensors in the Adapter Status screen. You should have ‘Intake Manifold Pressure’ if it is a MAP system, and ‘Mass Airflow’ if you have a MAF sensor.

Godzirro
on: March 15, 2012 (GMT)

I have zero error count and have had no errors. My adapter seems to always be working properly.
Yes I believe you are right and it is coming directly from the MAP sensor but there is no way it is seeing up to 54PSI on a 12PSI max boost. My point isn’t that my turbo is boosting past 12 and that the MAP sensor is reading teens 20’s and 54 and definitely not boosting that high. The car stops working with over boost at 20. Its that somehow the app is not getting the right info. I do no even have to step on the gas that hard to get the boost past 12. But that is the limit of this small turbo. BTW I have tried both MAF and MAP setting on the app and get the same high readings.

piemmm
Administrator

What sensors you do you have in the adapter status screen?

Which sensors are listed there per my last post – Is ‘Intake Manifold Pressure’ and/or ‘Mass Airflow’ listed? this is important to know before I can help you

You don’t have MAP, as it’s impossible to get a reading as high as 54 PSI, which likely you are either on Mass Airflow, or another sensor, but I need to know the sensors that are present before I can help

Godzirro

Sure thank you. It is MAF as I have the mass air flow. I have confirmed I do get that reading as well and seems accurate.

Pages: [1] 2 3
WP-Forum by: Fredrik Fahlstad, Version: 2.4
Page loaded in: 0.071 seconds.

Follow me on twitter